1883 – 1891
The houses in the triangle of land between the Wokingham Road, the railway line & Palmer Park start to be built by Huntley & Palmer for their workers
At Wycliffe Baptist Church, a class of 40 young men meet under the leading of Mr. W R Simmons. The class ‘feeling led by God and his spirit to serve Him outside their classroom, gathered together for prayer and consider which of three areas they should labour for Our Lord – Redlands, Newtown or Earley Rise’
Sunday 28 February 1892
The group has formed ‘Earley Rise Mission Band’ and the first mission service is held in the home of Mr Street who lived in St Peter’s Road. The sermon preached by Arthur Giles was on the text in St John 3 vs. 14 – 15.
The ‘Noisy Group’ (as they were also called) maintained four meetings a week – a Cottage Service and Open Air Service on Sundays, an Open Air Service on Thursday evenings visiting each street in turn, and a Bible Class in the home of Mr Giles in Clarendon Road. They also consider whether to purchase a cottage to convert into meeting rooms
The first two plots of ground in Amherst Road are purchased where the mission hall is later to be built
The group (who had already held tent meetings with a group from the Primitive Methodist Circuit) consider whether they should join with the Methodists, but no agreement is reached
Wycliffe Church helps the Earley Rise mission to rent 13 (now 111) Wykeham Road. It is modified and the opening service is held.
Mr Mumford agrees to build the hall for £300 and the official stone-laying ceremony for the new mission hall is held. With much rejoicing the first service is held in August even before the floor was laid.
August 1896 First service held in the mission hall.
July 1903 Up until 1903 the work on Earley Rise was under the supervision of Wycliffe Baptist Church, but on 15th July 1903 with a transfer of 37 members from Wycliffe the church at Anderson was formed. A further 13 members were received before the end of the year.
1906-1908 Rev. Ernest Newell served as minister.
1908-1937 Rev William King served as minister, dying in the vestry of the church at evening service.
1909 Plans for the new church building were drawn up
1910 The church building is erected and completed at a cost of £1,500.
1924 Wadwick house in St Peters Road is bought to accommodate the ever expanding Sunday School.
1931 New pipe organ and electric lighting installed into the church
As a way to engage with the many children attending the Sunday School Scout and Guide Groups were started
71st Reading (Anderson)Scout Troop and Wolf Cub pack for the boys
28th Reading (Anderson) Guides and Brownies for the girls
Rev Thomas Jones served as minister
1953-1958 Rev Keith Skinner served as minister
1959 – 1964 Rev W John Weaver served as minister
1965- 1969 Rev David J.B. Sayer served as minister
1971 – 1973
Rev Trevor L Landon is the minister of Anderson church
The entrance to the Hall is rebuilt and toilets added to it
1975 – 1987
Rev R Anderson Duncan is the minister of Anderson church
Wadwick House is sold. The end of the garden is kept and the money is used to build a garage/store there in Amherst Road with parking space for 3 vehicles, and the Hall kitchen was replaced with a new one, including a boiler room and meeting rooms in a 2 story extension.
An electric organ which had already replace the pipe organ installed in 1931 is removed and replaced with a donated electronic organ.
Anderson’s first lady Secretary is elected
1987 – 1991
Rev Gareth Thomas is the minister of Anderson church
The original pews are replaced with chairs
1992 – 2009
Rev David Skinner is inducted as the minister of Anderson church.
The original Church porch is replaced and the Manse has a two-story extension added. The access to the Hall & Church is also refurbished with disabled access ramps.
The last Caretakers leave No.10 and the house is rented to fund increased youth work.
Lorna Pugh, a ‘Time For God’ volunteer, is taken on for one year with the specific goal of establishing a church based youth group called ‘Dunamis’
1997 – 1998
Ruthie Bryant, a student worker from ‘Oasis Trust’ is taken on to continue expanding the Youth work
2000 – 2011
Rev Judith Wheatley, who initially was appointed as the Youth Worker and became the Youth Minister of Anderson Church, with ‘Special Responsibility for Youth and Families’, continuing the youth work expansion.
In 2011 she is called to become the General Minister of Anderson.
2009 – 2017
Pastor Tulasi Rai, from Nepal and working with INF, becomes the Honary Associate Minister with particular responsibility for ministry among the Nepali community.
The work amongst Nepali ghurkas and their families flourishes.
The electric organ donated in 1977, the original pulpit and some remaining balustrades are removed and the Church considers how to refurbish the front area of the Church
A digital piano is purchased to replace the organ that was removed in 2010 and the baby grand piano, which was originally obtained in the early 1950 ‘s during the time of Rev Jones from the local Home Guard unit which was closing, is donated to the Pigott School where several of our youth attend
March 2011 – date
Rev Judith Wheatley is inducted as the Minister of Anderson church when she transferred from being the Youth Minister.
2011 – 2014
John Collins is called to join Anderson Church as the Youth Worker.
2014- 2017 Alina Rai joins the ministry team when she becomes the Minister – in – Training, working part time with the church and studying at Regents Park College.
September 2017 Rev. Alina Rai is ordained as a part-time Minister at Anderson. Her role is to continue the work of pioneering a bi-lingual congregation, to work with the church to grow the leadership within the expanding Nepali community and to be part of the leadership team that oversees the life and mission of the church.
Joseph Forson is appointed as a Minister for Outreach (part-time) to work alongside the leadership team to continue and develop the outreach and the work amongst families